Council is upgrading Old Gympie Road between Anzac Avenue and Boundary Road. The upgrade will cater to predicted future traffic demands and improve the operation of this key transport corridor.
Once complete, the upgrade will:
- improve safety for road users and pedestrians by signalising key intersections
- reduce travel times and improve traffic flow by widening the road
- create better and safer active transport options by installing footpaths, cycle lanes and signalised pedestrian crossings
- improve the flood immunity with upgraded drainage to be installed along the corridor.
Features of the upgrade include:
- widening Old Gympie Road between Anzac Avenue and Boundary Road to provide two lanes in each directions (four lanes total)
- installing new traffic signals at 10 key intersections
- providing footpaths and on-road bicycle lanes throughout the project area
- landscaping and tree planting along the median and verges to green the corridor
- improving street lighting along the corridor
- upgrading existing bus stops, including new seating and shelters at some locations
- upgrading drainage and stormwater infrastructure to improve the flood immunity of the corridor.
View an overview map(PDF, 5MB) of the project.
Project timing and staging
The project will be delivered progressively in stages over the next 10 years. Further information on timing and staging will be shared as planning progresses.
Council has been progressively consulting with the local community to inform the design for each stage of the project. Community feedback has been incorporated into the design where possible.
We are committed to keeping the community informed and working closely with impacted residents and businesses through the delivery of the project.