Street lighting

The majority of lights, streetlights and/or poles on road reserves, along footpaths and within parks and foreshore areas are the responsibility of Energex to maintain.

Contact Energex by:

Powerlines down or live wires exposed? Contact Energex urgently on 13 62 62.

Council responsibility

Council has responsibility for maintaining some decorative lighting in the region:

  • on road reserves
  • in parks and reserves and around park facilities, i.e. barbeques
  • solar lighting
  • lighting around council buildings
  • lights in trees.

Issues with lighting on Council land contact Council.

Street light cover / shade

Requests for the installation of a street light cover/shade may be received when the light from a street light causes excessive nuisance.  The Street light shade application(PDF, 328KB) must be completed, and relevant fee paid.

Council has adopted the Shading of street lights policy(PDF, 138KB) which addresses the concerns of residents when a streetlight glare problem is reported, and determines the need for a streetlight shade, taking into consideration the general standard of lighting in the area, traffic safety and needs of pedestrians.

This policy applies to streetlights that existed prior to the requester’s occupation of the residence and new street light installations arranged by developers or Council. It applies to all roads and pathways controlled by Moreton Bay Regional Council, but not to street lights on declared main roads or private roads on freehold land. 

On receipt of the application, an assessment of the streetlight and the surrounding area will be conducted.  Council will notify the applicant of the outcome of the investigation.

Additional street lighting

Requests for additional street lighting can be made by completing the Additional street lighting application(PDF, 172KB).  This includes requests for lights that are to be placed on a footpath alongside a road and/or attached to an electricity pole.