Register your pet, or risk being fined
Published 03 May 2023
Council’s Systematic Inspection Program of unregistered cats and dogs will continue next financial year, with Council today approving four more inspection programs through to June 2024.
In just this current financial year alone, 17,317 new cats and dogs were registered between 1 July 2022 and 22 March 2023. This is a 55% increase when compared to registrations for the same period in 2021/22.
Mayor Peter Flannery said the results speak for themselves.
“While the majority of cat and dog owners in Moreton Bay are responsible for their pets, there is a likelihood of a significant number of owners across the region who have not registered their cat and/or dog at all,” he said.
“It’s important that we closely monitor our cat population and ensure people take responsibility for their pets, so they don’t escape and become a threat to native animals.
“That’s why we need a programmed approach to the registration of cats and dogs to ensure pet owners don’t become complacent - this would diminish Council’s capacity to address issues relating to the keeping of cat and dogs in our region.”
There are many benefits of cat and dog registration including:
- Lost and found service - when your pet is registered we can re-unite it with you quickly.
- If you are home, our Rangers will return it to you provided it has not been impounded previously. Also, there is a free of charge first time release if you are not at home.
- Proof of ownership identification system.
- Assists in the resolution of nuisances from cats and dogs as Council Officers can identify owners.
Mayor Flannery said the biggest help of all Council gets is from all the wonderful pet owners out there who are doing the right thing.
“So I want to thank you for doing your part,” he said.
There will be four inspection programs which will start and finish as follows:
- Program 1: 1 July 2023 to 30 September 2023;
- Program 2: 1 October 2023 to 15 December 2023;
- Program 3: 8 January 2024 to 31 March 2024; and
- Program 4: 1 April 2024 to 30 June 2024.
Visit Council's website for more information.