Organising an event?

The Moreton Bay Region has many outdoor areas where you can hold an event.

Council regulates prescribed activities on private property, Council areas and roads. If you are planning on holding a temporary event you may require a permit from council under Local Law No. 1 (Administration) 2011.

The main purpose of regulating these activities is to ensure they are being carried out in a safe manner, whilst preventing nuisances to the surrounding environment.

Council has created the Organising an event guide to assist you with planning your event.

Do I need to make an application?

An application to hold a Community Event is required for any event open to the public on Council areas or private land, with or without an admission fee, or private events on Council areas if any of the following criteria apply:

  • Amplified music
  • Over 500 patrons in attendance
  • Fireworks
  • Commercial businesses selling food
  • mechanical amusement ride

Events on private land, which are open to the public may require a permit under Council’s local law. If you are unsure if your event requires a permit, contact Council.

Fees may apply.

Petting zoos, amusement rides and similar may require a permit and are only approved in Council parks for organised community events. Non-commercial amusement rides (e.g. store bought jumping castles) are not permitted. Council does not support the use of monster trucks on Council land.

Applications are not required for family or casual social gatherings in parks.

Contact the Public Space Permits Team on (07) 3205 0555 to discuss if an application is required at a showground as this activity is assessed on a case by case basis.

How to apply

Step 1.Select a suitable location

  • Council parks - designated event areas. These are the most popular event sites. Site maps are available to download to assist you in preparing your site plan. There are many parks identified within the region that are suited to events, ranging from foreshores to parklands and bush settings.
  • Council parks - not designated event areas. It is recommended that you use an aerial photograph of the event site (available through Google maps) to prepare your site plan.
  • Sporting fields - not designated event areas. It is recommended that you use an aerial photograph of the event site (available through Google maps) to prepare your site plan. Structures requiring staking or pegging are not permitted to be placed on sporting fields. If you want to make an enquiry regarding the use or availability of a sporting field contact Council.

Step 2.Site plan

A site plan to scale of (1:100) must be provided at the time of application. The site plan must include all aspects relating to the event, including but not limited to:

  • details and drawings of buildings and or other structural elements of the entertainment event
  • location, type and numbers of all ablution facilities for both male and female patrons on the site
  • type of lighting (including floodlights) on site
  • parking areas
  • access to the site
  • the proposed location and description of any signs associated with the event
  • location and description of any safety equipment (if applicable)
  • buffer zones, landscaping and screening of the site (if applicable)
  • the direction and approximate distance from the site to areas likely to be affected by the operation of the temporary event, including residents, schools, kindergartens, child care centres, hospitals, nursing homes; and location, type and number of amusements/rides
  • generators/electrical cables
  • licensed areas if applicable

View example site plan(PDF, 292KB)

Step 3.Risk management plan

A risk management plan assessed and verified by a suitably qualified person must be provided at time of application. The risk management plan must include:

  • traffic management
  • waste management
  • emergency first aid
  • emergency evacuation
  • setting up and dismantling plan
  • dust suppression
  • security
  • post event rehabilitation
  • noise management, as determined and considered necessary by an authorised person

View risk management plan template(DOC, 134KB) (with examples)

Step 4.Public Liability Insurance

Event organisers are required to provide a public liability insurance certificate of currency for $20 million with Moreton Bay Regional Council listed as an interested party that covers the duration and scope of the event.

Any other party or provider associated with the event should also have public liability cover and provide evidence of this cover to the organiser.

For further information about public liability insurance, as well as a reference of insurers, visit the Insurance Council of Australia.

Step 5.Detailed statement

A detailed statement of the nature of the entertainment must be provided, including the duration and estimated daily attendance for the event.

Step 6.Written consent of land owner

This is required for events on private land only. 

Step 7.Evidence of your not-for-profit or charity status if applicable

If you’re applying on behalf of a not-for-profit organisation or charity, you need to supply proof of the organisations status. You can search for your registered status through the Australian Charities and Not-For-Profits Commission.

Step 8.Lodging an application

Ensure all relevant documents as above are included at time of lodgement to allow Council to assess your application properly. Not providing the correct documentation at the time of lodgement will result in your application being deemed “Not Properly Made” and as a result, will not be assessed by Council. 

Online lodgement:

  • Sign in to MBRC Online Services (Instructions)
  • Go to 'Enquiries'
  • Find 'Community - Event' and click 'Start' to begin the process.
  • Payment by MasterCard or Visa is required at the time of lodgement. Not-for-profit organisations are exempt.

Lodge application

Council assistance for events

Council has prepared a community event guide to assist community organisations when planning, running and promoting an event in the region. The guide highlights key considerations for event organisers. It also provides information and links to useful resources and support that may be available through your local Councillor.

Events held on non-council controlled land

Temporary events on private land may require a permit under Council's local law. Refer to Temporary events on private land.