Street lighting

The majority of lights, streetlights and/or poles on road reserves, along footpaths and within parks and foreshore areas are the responsibility of Energex to maintain.

Contact Energex by:

Powerlines down or live wires exposed? Contact Energex urgently on 13 62 62.

Council responsibility

Council has responsibility for maintaining some decorative lighting in the region:

  • on road reserves
  • in parks and reserves and around park facilities, i.e. barbeques
  • solar lighting
  • lighting around council buildings
  • lights in trees.

Issues with lighting on Council land contact Council.

Streetlight cover / shade

Requests for the installation of a streetlight cover/shade may be received when the light from a streetlight causes excessive nuisance.  The Streetlight shade application(PDF, 111KB) must be completed, and relevant fee paid.

Council has adopted the Shading of Streetlights Policy(PDF, 57KB) which addresses the concerns of residents when a streetlight glare problem is reported, and determines the need for a streetlight shade, taking into consideration the general standard of lighting in the area, traffic safety and needs of pedestrians.

This policy applies to streetlights that existed prior to the requester’s occupation of the residence and new streetlight installations arranged by developers or Council. It applies to all roads and pathways controlled by Moreton Bay Regional Council, but not to streetlights on declared main roads or private roads on freehold land. 

On receipt of the application, an assessment of the streetlight and the surrounding area will be conducted.  Council will notify the applicant of the outcome of the investigation.

Additional street lighting

Requests for additional street lighting can be made by completing the Additional streetlighting application(PDF, 116KB).  This includes requests for lights that are to be placed on a footpath alongside a road and/or attached to an electricity pole.