Congratulations to the 2019/2020 winners from seven schools and Early learning centres who have developed waste reduction and resource recovery onsite with their staff and students:
- St Columban’s College
- Genesis Christian College
- Burpengary Meadows State School
- Mount Samson State School
- Our Lady of the Way Petrie
- Goodstart North Lakes - Winn Street
- Living Faith Early Learning Centre.
View the 2020 Sustainability Champions award winners case study(PDF, 448KB)
Watch the Sustainability Champions award winners video
This is a significant improvement in the region with only three award winners in 2018/19.
The program is run on an annual basis, collecting data of the site at the beginning and end of the school year to determine how the school/centre has progressed and reduced their waste to landfill. Submissions that meet the criteria are awarded ‘Sustainability Champion’ status and are provided a certificate and trophy made from upcycled materials.
The next Sustainability Champions registrations will commence in early 2021.
2021 Sustainability Champions award
Sustainability Champions is an opportunity for Council to reward and acknowledge the schools and early learning centres (ELC’s) in Moreton Bay that are leading the way in sustainability. The program is run on an annual basis, collecting data of the site at the beginning and end of the school year to determine how the school/centre has progressed and reduced their waste to landfill.
Council would like to acknowledge, celebrate, and promote your school’s / centre’s dedication and commitment towards best practice waste management. View the information booklet(PDF, 1MB).
If your school or ELC practices sustainable waste management and has initiatives in place to reduce, reuse and recycle, please register for the Sustainability Champions award in 2021.
- Register your school / centre by Friday 12 March 2021, 5:00 PM. You will then receive a Teacher Information Booklet, along with a Champion Site Profile form to complete
- Collect and enter data regarding the waste services, volumes, and practices at your school / centre. Return the Champion Site Report by Thursday 1 April 2021, 5:00 PM
- Plan, implement, and refine your waste management practices and behaviours
- Produce and submit your final Champion Site Report that demonstrates improvements in your waste management practices by Friday 29 October 2021, 5:00 PM
Final Champion Site Reports will be evaluated against a set of criteria including efforts in waste avoidance, reduction, reuse, and recycling. All submissions will receive a report card providing feedback and suggestions for improving best practices in waste management. Submissions that meet the criteria of a ‘Sustainability Champion’ will be contacted by Council’s waste minimisation team for a site visit and inspection. Sites that are awarded ‘Sustainability Champion’ status will be provided with a certificate and an award to be publicly displayed at the school / centre.