Number of animals allowed by property size (calculator)
This tool serves as a guide only to the number of animals permitted for domestic purposes on various allotment types and sizes under Moreton Bay Regional Council’s local laws. The information provided must be considered in conjunction with the Local Law and Subordinate Local Law No. 2 (Animal Management) 2011.
If you are keeping animals as a primary producer or in another commercial manner e.g. boarding kennel you will be bound by Council's planning scheme.
The stated allowances are applicable from 5 August 2011 and are not retrospective.
Animals must be kept in accordance with the requirements of Animal Management (Cats & Dogs) Act 2008 [PDF 1MB] and Moreton Bay Regional Council’s Local Law No. 2 (Animal Management 2011) and Subordinate Local Law 2. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Animal identification & registration
- Number of animals allowed by property type/size
- Keeping animals in accordance with codes of practice
- Animal enclosures & fencing
- Biting & aggression
- Koala areas
Exemptions and exceptions to the requirements for approval to keep an animal are defined in Subordinate Local Law 2 (Schedule 2).
Property size search
Keeping of cats
- Cats must be registered with Moreton Bay Regional Council
- A person must not keep a cat(s) in a caravan park, camping ground or relocatable home park.
- Cats can not be registered to a vacant allotment.
Keeping of dogs
- Dogs must be registered with Moreton Bay Regional Council
- A person must not keep a dogs(s) in a caravan park, camping ground or relocatable home park.
- Dogs can not be registered to a vacant allotment.
- In order to minimise impacts upon koala habitat, dogs are not permitted on any property located in the following three streets in Narangba: Desmond Street, Samuel Way or Steven Court.
Keeping of stock
When considering the total number of animals allowed for an allotment, restrictions apply to the cumulative total of stock animals at the following rates:
- Large livestock (cows, horses, etc.): minimum land size required 6,001 m2, maximum of 1 per 4000m2
- Sheep/Goats: minimum land size required 3,001 m2, maximum 1 per 1000m2
Multi unit complexes
- A person must not keep more than two (2) budgerigars, or two (2) canaries, or two (2) cockatiels, two (2) small parrots or two other similar sized birds in a unit within the multi unit complex.
- A person must not keep a large parrot, or a cockatoo, or a galah or other similar size bird in a unit within a multi unit complex.
Related documents & links
Pending review, please note images and documents on this page are subject to copyright - all rights reserved. See copyright notice for details.