Selling goods in a public place

To sell your goods at one of Council's open spaces, you will need to apply for a permit. These businesses might include:

  • mobile food vans
  • flower stalls
  • seafood vendors.

Council regulates the sale of goods to make sure businesses operate safely and are considerate to other people using public spaces.

You need to submit your application at least eight weeks before you will be selling goods. Once all supporting documents have been provided, your application will be reviewed and assessed under Local Law No 1 (Administration) 2011. Schedule 8(c).

We may consult with key stakeholders. It may take up to 30 business days from assessment to decision once all supporting documents have been provided.

Council is trialling the Moreton Bay Pop Ups program. The program encourages businesses to pop up in pre-approved, specific areas in the Moreton Bay Region. Find out if your business can operate as part of the Moreton Bay Pop Ups Program. If you are not able to operate under the Moreton Bay Pop Ups Program, continue with this application. 

How to apply

Step 1.Complete a risk management plan

Complete the Risk management plan template(DOCX, 927KB).

Step 2.Prepare a site plan

Prepare a detailed diagram of your stall set up and plans of the areas where your business site will be established using the Sale of goods site plan template(DOCX, 64KB).

Step 3.Take out public liability insurance

Evidence of a current public liability insurance policy to the value of $20,000,000 should be provided with your application.

Step 4.Collect supporting documents

You may need to provide other documents and licences, depending on your business. If applicable, provide:

  • a copy of the vehicle registration details and photos of the vehicle
  • a copy of the food licence required under the Food Act 2006
  • a copy of the menu for any food and drinks for sale
  • a detailed list of goods for sale
  • details of the materials and equipment used to construct any stands or stalls. Include the dimensions of the area where the stall or stand will operate
  • any other relevant government licences, registrations or approvals, such as a blue card or Marine park permit.

Step 5.Review conditions 

Make sure you review and understand the conditions for a Sale of Goods permit. Specific conditions may be added after your application has been assessed.

Step 6.Review fees and charges

In accordance with Council's fees and charges, a non-refundable application fee of T992 is payable at the time of application. Council will contact you for payment.

Other fees are payable when your permit is approved or renewed. These fees are:

  • an T991 annual commercial fee. This fee is charged on a pro rata monthly basis to 30 September.
  • a T993 annual renewal fee.

The renewal period for a permit is from 1 October to 30 September.

Charities and not-for-profit organisations are exempt from paying fees if evidence is provided.

Step 7.Complete an application

Download and complete the Sale of goods permit application form(PDF, 344KB) and submit along with your supporting documents:

The applicant for an approval must be a legal entity, such as a person, private company, public company or incorporated association. A partnership, cooperative, unincorporated association, body corporate, strata corporation, trust or political party is not a legal entity and cannot be considered the applicant.