Agistment of animals on Council-owned or Council-managed land

Council is not accepting agistment enquiries until further notice while the process is being reviewed.

Council considers applications for agistment licence agreements on Council-owned or Council-managed land. Agistment is generally considered for parks and reserves adjacent to the applicant’s property, however, customers can apply to use other areas of council land. To apply for an agistment licence agreement, you will need to complete an 'Agistment of animals on Council owned/managed land' application via Councils MBRC Online Services.

If you do not have an existing MBRC Online Services account, you will be required to register before lodging an application.

Find out about your animal allowances per property.

Read the Stock - how many animals can I have on my property factsheet(PDF, 1MB)

How to apply

Step 1.Review the checklist

Learn more about the obligations of an agistment licensee by reviewing the Agistment licensee obligations checklist(PDF, 208KB)

Step 2.Collect the supporting documents

You will also need to provide an agistment management plan outlining how the land will be used and managed. This includes:

  • an aerial map with proposed agistment area that includes your adjoining land if applicable
  • stock rotation
  • details of fencing
  • information on water supply

Step 3.Complete an online application

  • Sign in to MBRC Online Services (Instructions)
  • Go to ‘Enquiries’
  • Search for ‘Corporate - Tenure Agreements’ and click ‘Start’ to begin the process
  • Select the activity - 'Agistment of animals on Council owned/managed land’
  • Complete the questions
  • Read and accept Council’s terms and conditions
  • Payment by MasterCard or Visa is required at the time of lodgement, in accordance with Council's fees and charges.

Apply online

 Allow four to six weeks for your application to be processed.

Step 4.Obtain public liability insurance

Evidence of a current public liability insurance policy to the value of $20,000,000 will need to be provided with approved applications. The insurance policy must be in the same name as the applicant. Any other party or provider associated with your application should also have public liability cover and provide evidence of this cover to the applicant.