Filming and photography approval

City of Moreton Bay has many fantastic locations that may be used for film production, photography, and media promotions.  

Council regulates these activities under Events Local Law 2023 to ensure they are carried out safely while taking other public space users and residents into consideration, and to maintain the purpose and amenity of our public spaces.

Council cannot assess productions on state and federal roads or reserves. This includes marine and national parks. Contact the relevant authority for filming requests for these types of locations.

When is approval needed

The following activities require Council approval:

  • feature and short films
  • news media/multimedia
  • media promotional activities
  • outside broadcasting
  • documentaries
  • television and radio programs and commercials
  • corporate/music videos
  • remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) filming and photography
  • one off photoshoots.

Recurring photoshoots will require a commercial use of public land and roads local law approval. An example of a reoccurring shoot is when a photographer charges a family to take portraits in a park on an ongoing basis. Refer to Selling services on public land and roads.

Some filming may not need approval if the production is considered low risk. If you are unsure whether your activity requires an approval, contact Council

Low-impact filming production

Low impact film production and media promotion refers to activities that  typically lasts less than five consecutive days. A low-impact activity does not involve:

  • the assembly of temporary buildings or structures
  • traffic management or parking restrictions
  • fireworks.

Additional low-impact classification is at the discretion of Council.

You need to submit your application with all supporting documentation a minimum of 10 business days before starting filming or promotions.

High-impact filming production

A high impact filming production is filming that includes:

  • the assembly of temporary buildings or structures
  • traffic management or parking restrictions
  • fireworks.

You need to submit your application and all supporting documentation a minimum of 20 business days before starting filming or promotions.

How to apply

Step 1.Prepare a site plan

Prepare a detailed site plan for each location using the filming site plan template(DOCX, 46KB).

Step 2.Complete a risk management plan

Complete the Risk management plan template(DOCX, 927KB).

Step 3.Take out public liability insurance

Evidence of a current public liability insurance policy to the value of $20,000,000 in the same name as the applicant should be provided with your application.

Any other party or provider associated with your activity should also have public liability cover and provide evidence of this cover to the organiser.

Step 4.Collect supporting documents

The following supporting documents may be required and will need to be submitted with the Commercial use of land and roads application:

  • evidence this production will benefit or promote the Moreton Bay region
  • a traffic management plan (if applicable).

Step 5.Review conditions

Review and understand the events and filming conditions(PDF, 488KB). Specific conditions may be added after your application has been assessed.

Step 6.Review the fees and charges

In accordance with Council’s fees and charges, the costs are:

  • High impact - a application fee of T973 
  • Low impact - a application fee of T1206

This fee is payable at the time of application. Council will contact you for payment.

Council may also require a bond to be paid. The bond fee will be determined by Council based on a risk assessment of the proposed film production or media promotion. This fee is payable closer to the date of your event.

Step 7.Complete an application form

Download and complete the filming section of the Events application(PDF, 831KB) form.

Submit your completed application along with supporting documentation using any of the below options:

The applicant for an approval must be a legal entity, such as an individual, private company, company, incorporated body, unincorporated body, partnership, body corporate or trustee.

Can my fees be waived?

Council reserves the right to waive fees for film productions and media promotions including those by:

  • not-for-profit and community organisations
  • persons who are filming a production or carrying out a media promotion which reflects positively on the Moreton Bay Region
  • students studying at an educational institution.

For consideration of fee exemptions for student productions, the following must be provided:

  • evidence from the higher educational institution confirming proof of enrolment in the relevant subject/unit
  • letter from the higher educational institution stating that the production will be conducted for the enrolled course
  • Certificate of currency for Public liability insurance issued by the higher educational institution.

A fee may be charged if:

  • amendments are required to be submitted on applications.