Drainage - stormwater

Council's stormwater drainage system is located within roads, reserves, easements and some private properties.  It is made up of a network of infrastructure including pipes, pits, channels and other items.

Council is responsible for the maintenance of Council owned stormwater drainage.  Council is not responsible for private stormwater infrastructure.

View the Stormwater for domestic buildings fact sheet(PDF, 856KB) for further information.

Drainage easements

A drainage easement, generally in urban development, is a legal encumbrance on the property taken at the time of development to provide Local Government with the authority to carry out whatever works are required on drainage infrastructure within an easement.

The infrastructure can include open drain channels, below ground pipe systems and grated inlets and is designed to accept allotment and roof water together with larger upstream catchment stormwater flows.

Property owners who are unable to outlet their roof water to the kerb and channel, may be able to direct roof stormwater into an existing stormwater drain within an easement.  

Generally, no structures or improvements are permitted within the easement boundaries, however some improvements may be allowed within proximity to the easement and these enquires should be directed to Council.  For information on how an easement may affect building on our property, refer to placement of structure.

Under Council policy - Maintenance of watercourse and drainage easements within private properties the property owner (grantor) is responsible for the maintenance of an easement on private property.  Council is not responsible for vegetation maintenance, including the clearing of weeds and trees or any other maintenance of overgrown vegetation, to watercourses or easements located within private property.

Stormwater drainage problems

Residents must not divert the natural run-off of stormwater in a manner that will cause a nuisance to neighbouring properties.

The downstream owner must accept natural run-off but may install a properly designed drainage system to reduce the effect on their property.

Issues regarding stormwater flow between private properties are to be resolved between the property owners.

Complaints about stormwater drainage affecting Council controlled land such as roads and parks should be referred to Council.

The discharge of litter, dirt, petrol, oil, grease, paint, etc into stormwater is strictly prohibited as these seriously affect the environment and waterways.

Stormwater entering sewers

It is strictly prohibited to discharge stormwater into the sewerage system.

After heavy rain, the sewerage system can become overloaded because of property owners illegally connecting downpipes into the sewer manholes.

This action can create serious environmental and health hazards.

Connecting into a stormwater drainage system

Before connecting into a Council stormwater drainage system, you need to seek Council approval as discharge points may be subject to conditions.  Stormwater must not be connected and discharged onto a downstream property, without permission of that owner.

For conditions of discharge points, contact Council.

Roof discharge

Where possible, roofwater should be taken via an underground piped system to the street kerb and channel, or to an approved point of discharge into an existing stormwater drain.

If the fall of the land does not permit discharge to the street channel, or if no other underground stormwater drainage system exists to take roofwater away from the site, roofwater should be discharged to a point where it will not cause nuisance to neighbouring properties.

Surface water must not be deliberately directed onto a neighbouring property whether by pipe or by reshaping the ground surface.

Stormwater manholes / pits

Stormwater manhole covers are generally located in roads, footpaths and parks.  They are installed as part of construction or development works and are used for inspection and maintenance access.

Maintenance of the manhole cover/lid may be required if the manhole cover has been removed, shifted or the surround has deteriorated and is a noise nuisance when vehicle drive over it.

When a resident or builder requires a stormwater manhole/pit on their property to be raised or lowered to ground level, this is referred to as private works.  If approved by Council, the resident or builder will be directed to engage a private certifier to complete the works.  Once completed, the work is subject to an inspection by a Council officer.

Contact Council, citing the property address and details of work requested.