Public place activity - filming

Moreton Bay Regional Council has many fantastic locations that may be used for film production or media promotions.  

If you are considering undertaking a film production or media promotion on a Council controlled area you may need to submit a Public place activity - filming application for approval under Local Law No 1 (Administration) 2011.  

Council regulates these activities to ensure they are carried out in a safe manner while taking surrounding residents and other park users into consideration.

You need to submit your application at least eight weeks before you want to start filming. Once all supporting documents have been provided, your application will be reviewed and assessed for approval under Local Law No 1 (Administration) 2011. Schedule 5(b).

Initial assessment of your application may take up to five business days. We may go out to consultation with key stakeholders.  

It may take up to 30 business days from initial assessment to decision once all supporting documents have been provided. 

When do I need a permit?

The following productions require a permit:

  • feature and short films
  • news media/multimedia
  • media promotional activities
  • outside broadcasting
  • documentaries
  • one off photoshoots*
  • television and radio programs and commercials
  • corporate/music videos
  • student films
  • remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) filming and photography.

The following film production and media promotions are exempt:

  • private use
  • live-to-air reporting
  • weddings.

* Recurring commercial still photography will require Local Law approval under a Permitted business in a public place application. e.g. family portraits at a park every second Saturday.

Council cannot grant approval for productions on state and federal roads or reserves (this includes marine and national parks). Requests for filming must be processed and approved by the relevant authority.

What do I need to know?

Low-impact filming production requests

Low impact film production and media promotion means a film production or media promotion that generally lasts less than five consecutive days and does not involve:

  • the assembly of temporary buildings or structures
  • road closure
  • traffic control measures to be implemented between the hours of 5:00 AM - 6:00 PM on a weekday
  • operation between the hours of 6:00 PM - 7:00 AM Monday to Saturday, or at any time on a Sunday
  • public holidays, where that film production or media promotion generates noise
  • and is otherwise appropriate for classification as a low impact film production or media promotion in Council’s opinion.

High-impact filming production requests

High impact film production and media promotion means a film production or media promotion that is not a low impact film production or media promotion.

  • Permits are issued for specified date/s and time/s and cannot be renewed
  • A non-refundable application fee may apply. An invoice will be issued separately
  • Special mowing or additional servicing of the area is not provided. Council maintains its parks and gardens on a routine maintenance schedule.

Parks are public places and a permit will not grant exclusive use of the park. However, obtaining a permit will ensure no other approvals will be issued at the specified location, date and time.

How to apply

Step 1.Prepare a site plan

Prepare a detailed site plan for each location to scale of 1:100 using the Filming site plan template(DOCX, 46KB).

Step 2.Complete a risk management plan

Complete the Risk management plan template(DOCX, 927KB).

Step 3.Take out public liability insurance

Evidence of a current public liability insurance policy to the value of $20,000,000 should be provided with your application.

Any other party or provider associated with your activity should also have public liability cover and provide evidence of this cover to the organiser.

Step 4.Collect supporting documents

The following supporting documents may be required and will need to be submitted with the Public place activity application - filming:

  • evidence this production will benefit or promote the Moreton Bay Region
  • a traffic management plan (if applicable)
  • details of all third-party operators such as security.

Step 5.Review conditions

Make sure you review and understand the conditions for a Public place activity - filming permit. Specific conditions may be added after your application has been assessed.

Step 6.Review the fees and charges

In accordance with Council’s fees and charges, the costs are:

  • High impact - a non-refundable application fee of T973 
  • Low impact - a non refundable application fee of T972

This fee is payable at the time of application. Council will contact you for payment.

Other fees that may be payable closer to your event date. These are:

  • a daily charge of $424.00 for commercial use of council controlled land
  • Council may require a bond to be paid.

A bond may be required for film productions and media promotions. The bond will be determined by Council based on a risk assessment of the proposed film production or media promotion.

Step 7.Complete a Public place activity filming application

Download and complete a Public place activity application - filming(PDF, 305KB).

Submit your completed application along with supporting documentation using any of the below options:

The applicant for an approval must be a legal entity, such as a person, private company, public company or incorporated association. A partnership, cooperative, unincorporated association, body corporate, strata corporation, trust or political party is not a legal entity and cannot be considered the applicant.

Can my fees be waived?

Council reserves the right to waive fees for film productions and media promotions including those by:

  • not-for-profit and community organisations
  • persons who are filming a production or carrying out a media promotion which reflects positively on the Moreton Bay Region
  • students studying at an educational institution.

For consideration of fee exemptions for student productions, the following must be provided:

  • evidence from the higher educational institution confirming proof of enrolment in the relevant subject/unit
  • letter from the higher educational institution stating that the production will be conducted for the enrolled course
  • Certificate of currency for Public liability insurance issued by the higher educational institution.

A fee may be charged if:

  • the application is received less than seven days before film production and media promotion start date
  • amendments are required to be submitted on applications.