Running a business in a public place

To run your business in one of Council's open spaces, you will need to apply for a permit. These businesses might include:

  • personal training
  • boot camps
  • yoga
  • regional tours
  • dog training
  • hiring goods, such as paddleboards
  • ongoing commercial photography, such as family portraits every Saturday at the same location

Council regulates outdoor businesses to make sure they operate safely and are considerate to other people using public spaces.

Businesses that sell goods or food and drinks need different permits. Find out more selling goods in public places and food business licences.

You need to submit your application at least eight weeks before you start your activity.

Once all supporting documents have been provided, your application will be reviewed and assessed under Local Law No 1 (Administration) 2011. Schedule 8(c). We may consult with key stakeholders. It may take up to 30 business days from assessment to decision once all supporting documents have been provided.

How to apply

Step 1.Choose a location

Council is trialling the Moreton Bay Pop Ups Program. The program encourages businesses to pop up in specific areas in the Moreton Bay Region. Find out whether your business or chosen location is part of the Moreton Bay Pop Ups Program.

If your business or location is not part of the program, continue with this application.

Step 2.Prepare a site plan

If your activity involves any infrastructure, you will need to prepare a detailed site plan. This needs to include a detailed diagram of any stalls,  identify where the business will operate and the site dimensions.

Step 3.Take out public liability insurance

Evidence of a current public liability insurance policy to the value of $20,000,000 should be provided with your application. 

Step 4.Collect supporting documents

Depending on your business, you may also need to provide:

  • the details of any third-party operators
  • any other relevant government licences, registrations or approvals, such as a blue card or Marine park permit.

Step 5.Complete an application

Download and complete the Permitted business in a public place application form(PDF, 378KB) and submit along with your supporting documents:

Step 6.Pay a non-refundable application fee

A non-refundable application fee of T970 is payable at the time of application. Council will contact you for payment.

Other fees are payable when your permit is approved or renewed. These fees are:

  • a T968 annual commercial fee. This fee is charged upon approval and annually on 30 September
  • a T969 annual renewal fee. This fee is charged annually on 30 September.

You can renew your permit annually from 1 October to 30 September.

Charities and not-for-profit organisations are exempt from paying fees. Evidence must be provided.

Please note

  • Special mowing or additional servicing of the area is not provided. Council maintains its parks and gardens on a routine maintenance schedule.
  • Parks are public places and a permit will not guarantee exclusive use of the park.
  • Annual and major events held in parks will at times take precedence over your activities.
  • Exercise stations located in parks are for public use only.
  • All goods, equipment and materials must be removed from site each day.