What the waste levy means for residents


How does the waste levy affect households?

The Queensland Government has committed to ensuring the levy has no direct impact on households. To deliver this, councils receive annual payments to offset the costs of the waste levy on Municipal Solid Waste (which includes household waste collected at the kerbside or delivered by residents to waste facilities).

Councils are also provided with an additional payment to offset the cost of the levy for households with a council commercial waste collection service. This includes caravan parks, manufactured home parks, retirement villages, boarding houses, gated communities and rural residents with commercial bulk-waste arrangements.

Proprietors of eligible residential premises not covered by the additional council payment will be able to apply for a direct payment from the Queensland Government. Eligible residential premises include those with a private waste collection service (i.e. not provided by council) or premises with a mix of commercial and residential use, regardless of who provides the service, such as residential apartments with businesses in the building. The payment is based on the premise's waste service.

For the latest information visit the Queensland Government's waste levy website.

Back to question  ⤴

What is domestic waste?

Domestic, or household waste means waste resulting from the ordinary domestic use or occupation of a house, flat, apartment or unit. It does not include waste discharged to a sewer. 

In practice, domestic waste includes the material householders place in their general waste bins or the mixed waste they self-deliver to landfills and transfer stations.

Back to question  ⤴

Will all existing waste facilities and transfer stations continue to operate?

Yes. There will be no change to the operating days and times of council's three landfill sites and nine transfer stations.

Back to question  ⤴

What about home renovation or DIY waste?

Under State Government legislation, waste generated from residential renovation and building activities is classified as Construction and demolition waste, and therefore will be levied when disposed at a waste facility - unless the material is accepted for recycling and delivered separated and sorted. 

Household building materials that are recyclable, such as timber, concrete, clean fill or steel will not incur the waste levy, provided they are separated and sorted when delivered to an appropriate council waste facility.

You can check what recyclable items are accepted at your local waste facility.

Please note that council’s larger waste facilities are equipped to accept a wider range of recyclable materials. To find out where you can dispose of other recyclable items, simply use the convenient recycling search function.

Back to question  ⤴

I only have a load of recyclable materials. What does it mean for me?

The State Government waste levy only applies to materials going to landfill. Council encourages you to sort and separate your recyclable items before you visit a waste facility, so materials can be easily deposited in the appropriate recycling areas.  

Back to question  ⤴

As a resident, will I still enjoy the same access entitlements when disposing of my household waste at a waste facility?

Yes. There are no plans to change existing acceptance practices for materials at council waste facilities and the current regime of gate fees will remain in place. But as always our goal will remain firmly focused on encouraging our community to increase recycling and reduce landfill rates. 

Back to question  ⤴