Metal - cans, foil and packaging
Aluminium and steel is used to make cans for food and beverages, as well as foil trays and wrappers.
Tips for recycling:
- Empty and rinse cans or containers, aluminium foil and foil trays.
- Completely empty aerosol cans from residual household sprays.
- Scrunch aluminium foil and trays to prevent the item being sorted with the lightweight paper at the recycling sorting facility.
- Small pieces of foil such as Easter egg wrappers and lids from wine and sauce bottles can be enclosed in larger pieces of foil to ensure they are sorted correctly.
- Save large tins to collect smaller metal items like keys, old padlocks and steel bottle caps for recycling. Check that items are magnetic with a fridge magnet before adding them to the tin. When the tin is full, seal the lid and place in your recycling bin.
Disposal / recycling options
Business or community recycling programs
Many drink containers are eligible for a refund at participating outlets through the Containers for Change refund scheme.