Food trucks

Food trucks might include:

  • coffee vans
  • ice-cream vans
  • mobile snack trucks.

Food trucks are vehicles that:

  • are propelled by a motor
  • can prepare and sell food from the vehicle
  • can sell other goods like drinks and pre-packaged food.

How to apply

Step 1.Choose a location

Check if your location is part of the Moreton Bay Pop Ups Program. If it is, continue with this application.

If not, your business will require a different approval. Find out more about selling goods on public land and roads.

Step 2.Complete a risk management plan

Complete the Risk management plan template(DOCX, 927KB).

Step 3.Prepare a site plan

You will need to prepare a detailed site plan of the area where your business will be operating using the Moreton Bay Pop Ups site plan template(DOCX, 65KB).

Step 4.Take out public liability insurance

Evidence of a current public liability insurance policy to the value of $20,000,000, in the same name as the applicant, should be provided with your application.

Step 5.Collect supporting documents

You may need to provide other documents and licences, depending on your business. If applicable, provide:

  • a copy of the vehicle registration details and photos of the vehicle
  • a copy of the food licence required under the Food Act 2006
  • a copy of the menu for any food and drinks for sale
  • details of the materials and equipment used to construct any stands or stalls. Include the dimensions of the area where the stall or stand will operate
  • any other relevant government licences, registrations or approvals, such as a blue card or Marine park permit.

Step 6.Review conditions

Make sure you review and understand the Commercial use of public land and roads conditions(PDF, 549KB). Specific conditions may be added after your application has been assessed.

Step 7.Review fees and charges

In accordance with Council's fees and charges, an application fee of T1202 is payable at the time of application. Council will contact you for payment.

Other fees are payable when your approval is renewed. These fees are:

  • T1194 annual commercial fee. This fee is charged on a pro rata monthly basis to 30 September.
  • T1209 annual renewal fee. 

The renewal period for the approval is from 1 October to 30 September.

Charities and not-for-profit organisations are exempt from paying fees if evidence is provided.

Step 8.Submit an application form

Download and complete the Commercial use of public land and roads application form(PDF, 915KB) and submit along with your supporting documents:

The applicant for approval must be a legal entity, such as a individual, company, incorporated body, unincorporated body, partnership, body corporate or trustee.

Step 9.Review induction summary

Once you have received your permit, review and ensure you comply with the Moreton Bay Pop Ups program induction(PDF, 6MB).