Getting building approval

Building certification

Before starting work on most buildings and structures, a building permit, also known as a 'building approval', 'development approval' and 'building certification' may be required.

Building permits can be obtained from any private building certifier 'appropriately licensed' by the Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC).

Note: Council remains the sole regulator for the approval / inspection of plumbing and drainage work.

Who carries out the inspections?

Inspections for approved building work are the responsibility of the private building certifier who issues the permit.

Building Services Authority

Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC)  is a statutory authority established under the Queensland Building Services Authority Act 1991, to regulate the Queensland building industry.

Any contractors performing building work valued over $3,300 must hold a QBCC licence.

Owner builders performing or co-ordinating domestic building work on a property for a single project with a value of $11,000 or more must hold an owner builder permit. An owner builder permit is only issued by the Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC).

Dispute prevention & resolution

BSA plays a role in preventing building disputes by educating its licensees on technical issues and good business practices. It also assists consumers by offering advice on how to resolve disputes.

For further information on QBCC's services and contractors, visit the Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC) website.

Access via Council property during construction

Access via Council parkland to carry out building work on a property (e.g. to install a swimming pool), requires a vehicle access permit.

Please contact Council to request vehicle access to council land.

back to top