Approval vs finalisation


When buildings and structures require building approval, a private building certifier will assess the proposed work and issue a building development permit.  This means that you have approval to build the structure according to the permit (approved plans and conditions).

The building permit will note what inspections must take place while the work is underway.  The private building certifier who issued the permit will carry out these inspections.  If it has been built according to the permit, and the relevant documentation required is submitted, the certifier will issue the finalisation certificate. Depending on the structure building this could be a Form 21, Form 17 or Form 11. 

The private building certifier will then issue a copy of the finalisation certificate to Council, and the approval is then marked as finalised.

Customers requesting to finalise a building approval must refer to a private certifier in the first instance. The ability of Council to finalise a building development approval is dependent on the status of the approval. An approval can be finalised provided it is still in effect (i.e. it has not lapsed), complete a Request to finalise a building approval(PDF, 251KB). If the approval has lapsed, an entirely new approval from a private building certifier will be required.


Council remains the sole regulator for approval/inspection of plumbing and drainage work.  Therefore, when a plumbing application is required for a new dwelling or an outbuilding that currently does not have plumbing in a sewered area, you are required to obtain approval from Council prior to your plumber commencing work.  Often, your private building certifier will lodge the application to Council on your behalf.  If the application has all the documentation required and the correct fee, Council will issue a Notice to Commence, this usually only takes two business days.  Your plumber can then commence work and call for the required inspections.

If the plumbing application is for an unsewered property or a property with more than one dwelling (or secondary dwelling) the application will be more complicated and require Council to assess the submitted plans and documentation before issuing the plumbing approval (compliance permit).  This same process also occurs for commercial, industrial and unit or townhouse development.

This means that Council has approved the plumbing work outlined in the application to be completed according to the plumbing approval.

If all inspections are acceptable, and all the documentation required to be submitted is received, Council will issue the finalisation certificate (compliance certificate) for the plumbing.

The plumbing approval will then be marked finalised.

Customers requesting to finalise a plumbing approval that was issued more than 3 years after the issue date of a Compliance Permit or Notice to Commence Regulated Work was issued must complete Request to finalise a plumbing approval(PDF, 241KB).