Community leasing

Council provides land and facilities for eligible non-for-profit community organisations through leases, licences and other tenure arrangements for sport, recreation, cultural and community purposes. 

Council has an adopted Community leasing policy(PDF, 135KB) which demonstrates Council's commitment to maximising community benefit by ensuring equitable distribution of facilities and land. 

Tenure agreements are prepared in accordance with the policy. It provides key information about;
  • eligibility criteria
  • types of tenure offered
  • maintenance responsibilities
  • outgoings
  • ownership of assets, and
  • insurances.

Current tenants

As a tenant of a Council facility, written consent is required before:

  • entering into a sub-lease agreement with a third party
  • making improvements or alterations to the leased facility
  • assigning the lease to a third party
  • applying for a liquor and/or gaming licence
  • applying to mortgage the lease.

Refer to Council’s Community leasing policy for details regarding tenants ongoing maintenance responsibilities. If maintenance is required which is Council’s responsibility:

Lodge maintenance request

Improvements and alterations

Tenants of a leased facility must submit an Improvement Works Application (IWA) to obtain Council’s written consent for any proposed improvements within or associated with the lease, licence or permit area e.g. new building work, building extensions, air conditioning, solar panels, signage, etc. Council may consent with conditions or refuse applications for at its discretion.

Failure to obtain Council’s written consent before undertaking any work may result in Council requiring the tenant to remove or order the immediate non-use or securing of such items at the expense of the tenant.

Assessment time frame

Once a properly made application is received, the assessment period can take up to five weeks to complete. This allows Council time to consult with your local Councillor, as well as stakeholders, about the proposed works. This time frame should be taken into consideration when planning any works or applying for grants. In some cases, further approvals may be required from other local or state government authorities, such as development approvals.

For further information regarding the Improvement Works (IWA) application requirements please refer to Council’s - Community Leasing - Improvement Works Application (IWA)(PDF, 155KB) factsheet.

Submit an online Improvement works application (IWA):

Apply now

Locks and keys

Keys and locks are restricted, therefore approval is required before locksmiths can make copies. Tenants are generally responsible for the cost of replacement and additional keys.

If additional, or replacement keys or locks are required, complete the online key and lock request application: 

Apply now

Sports field permits

Organisations who use Council owned sports fields for training and fixtures are required to hold a sports field permit which stipulates the days and times of use for each organisation.

Note - If your organisation also has access to a clubhouse and/or other buildings, tenure for these facilities will be provided by way of a separate agreement. 

Updating contact details

Council must be advised of any changes to committee members and contact details to ensure the information is up-to-date to assist in the management of your tenure agreement.

To update your details:

Lodge request


Prospective tenants

Council owned land and facilities may not always be available. It may be beneficial for community organisations to consider alternative options for conducting activities such as community halls, schools and other commercial premises. 

To be eligible to obtain a lease, licence or any other tenure arrangement for a Council facility, your community organisation must meet the following criteria:

  • be a community organisation whose primary purpose is cultural, sporting, recreational, educational or community service and whose constitution or rules provide that its income, profits and assets may only be applied to the promotion of its objects and may not be applied to the payment of dividends or distributions to members
  • be able to demonstrate its ability to meet the financial obligations under the form of tenure sought; and
  • be proposing to use the land for sporting, recreational, cultural, educational or other community service purposes. 

For further information about holding tenure over Council land and facilities please contact Council.

Establishing a new facility

If your community organisation is in a position to fund the establishment of a new facility, and you have identified Council land which you believe may be suitable for the proposed use, please contact Council.

The identification of possible Council land does not guarantee facility establishment or the allocation of tenure.