A driveway crossover is the section of driveway from the edge of the road surface to the boundary of a property, i.e. the portion of the driveway located within the road reserve.
Property owners are responsible for the construction, maintenance, alteration and repair of driveway crossovers. Your responsibility includes where the driveway crosses the kerb, constructed footpath, water course, drain or drainage easement.
The locations and design requirements for the construction of a new driveway crossover, or alteration to an existing driveway crossover, are stipulated within the Moreton Bay Regional Council Planning Scheme. Property owners are required to perform a self-assessment to determine if their driveway crossover meets accepted development requirements or if they are required to submit a concurrence agency referral to Council for assessment.
Driveway crossover meets accepted development requirements
Where a proposed driveway crossover meets the accepted development requirements, Council grants permission to carry out the associated work on a road reserve or on Council owned land. Works undertaken are subject to conditions:
- the construction is the responsibility of the property owner
- the construction is at the risk of the property owner
- the construction of the kerb and channel (where required by the Planning Scheme) is considered part of the construction of a driveway crossover and is therefore the responsibility of the property owner
- it is recommended to contact Dial Before You Dig if excavation is required
- any damage caused by crossover works or damage not notified to Council prior to commencing crossover works will be repaired at the property owner's expense
- crossovers that do not comply with the criteria as listed below, and where an approval has not been sought from council, may require the property owner to undertake modifications at their own expense.
Driveway crossover does not meet accepted development requirements
If your proposed driveway crossover does not meet the accepted development requirements, you will need to complete the Concurrence agency referral - Class 1 and 10 buildings and structures application and pay the relevant fee.
Driveway crossover construction must not commence until written approval from Council has been received.