Expanded polystyrene (EPS) foam is commonly found in cups for hot beverages and as a packaging product.
EPS is comprised of 98% air, and is an expanded plastic material. Because of the expanded process, polystyrene is not readily recycled and is not accepted in the recycling wheelie bin.
Polystyrene is often marked with plastic identification code 6 and the recycling triangle, meaning this product is made from recycled plastic material classification number 6.
Small amounts of polystyrene are accepted in general waste bins only with small pieces contained inside a plastic bag.
Disposal / recycling options
Notes and conditions
- Materials include polystyrene, insulation (including unbound roof insulation), sawdust and other difficult to contain materials that require special burial
- Lightweight waste including polystyrene is only accepted at the waste facilities listed above
- Disposal of all domestic lightweight waste materials making up more than 75% load by volume will incur a fee
- Small pieces must be contained in a sealed plastic bag or box
- Small amounts of polystyrene are accepted in general waste bins only.