With the easing of the South East Queensland lockdown, Council venues have reopened subject to State Government COVID restrictions.
Before European settlement in 1824, the area now known as Redcliffe was home to the Gubbi Gubbi (Kabi, Kabi Kabi) and the Ningy Ningy people (Ningi Ningi, Ninghi Ninghi), part of the Undambi people. The First Nations people enjoyed the foods that could be easily found in and around the waters of the Redcliffe Peninsula.
The suburb of Kippa-Ring derives its name from the ceremonial bora-ring on the peninsula where neighbouring groups combined to carry out rituals. The word ‘Kippa’ refers to a young man. Kurbingaibah is a Ningy Ningy/Turrbal word that means a place of the Kippa Rings. Kurbingaibah is a place of cultural and spiritual significance to the Ningy Ningy people.
The name Humpybong is a derivative of the Aboriginal words ngumpin anglicised to ‘oopie-bong’, humpy or oompie meaning shelter and bong which is presumed to mean vanished, together meaning deserted shelters. They refer to the buildings left by the first European settlers when they moved to the second settlement site on the Brisbane River. While Redcliffe was always the official name of the Peninsula, Humpybong was used by the settlers and locals right up until well into the 1930s.