George Raff of Brisbane bought some of the land held by the failed Caboolture Cotton Company and called it Moray Field although it was often written as Morayfields . Eventually, from 1881, it became Morayfield . The ex-military man, Captain Whish, owned the neighbouring property. Morayfield was derived from Raff's native Morayshire in Scotland. Raff employed South Sea Islanders and grew sugar here. The Rev. J.D. Lang commended him on his humane treatment of the Islanders. For nearly twenty years rum was produced on the property.
Today Morayfield is a retail hub where national companies have established their chains.