Donnybrook history

At one time the township was known as Little Caloundra. It appears on some old maps as Toorbul Township. Some say that it got its present name from the brawling that used to go on among the crews of the boats which serviced the Moreton Bay Oyster Company and who used to camp there. Bribie Passage oysters had a reputation for being the finest in the world, but the industry was wiped out in 1909 by a worm infestation. The southeastern suburb of Dublin from which it gets its name was actually named after a saint. Its original name meant the church of St Broc. Donnybrook is another village known for its activity around the jetty and the boats. Good catches of estuary fish, whiting, bream and flathead and of course crabs, are common scenes in this area.