Street lighting

Streetlight / pole repairs & maintenance

The majority of streetlight and/or pole maintenance on road reserves and along paths through and around a park is the responsibility of Energex.

You can contact Energex by:

Power lines down or live wires exposed, contact Energex on 13 62 62 - Urgently!

Council responsibility

Council is responsible for arranging the majority of light and pole maintenance for all Rate 3 class lighting (decorative style) installed:

  • On road reserves 
  • In parks and reserves
  • Solar lighting
  • Lighting around Council buildings
  • Around parks facilities (eg. barbeques)
  • Lights in trees 

Streetlight shade

streetlight shade application must be completed and forwarded to Council.

Council has adopted the shading of streetlights policy to address the concerns of residents when a streetlight glare problem is reported, and to determine the need for a streetlight shade.

This policy applies to streetlights which existed prior to the requestor’s occupation of the residence and new streetlight installations arranged by Developers or Council. It applies to all roads and pathways controlled by Moreton Bay Regional Council, but not to streetlights on declared main roads or private roads on freehold land. 

Where light from a streetlight is causing excessive nuisance to a resident, then the resident can request installation of a shade. An assessment of the streetlight and surrounding area is required.

Before agreeing to shading of streetlights, consideration will be given to the general standard of lighting in the area, traffic safety and needs of pedestrians.

Additional street lighting

Requests for additional street lighting can be made by completing and returning an additional streetlighting application.

back to top