The business community have a wide range of needs for waste reduction and disposal.
Commercial waste disposal may be through:
- Council rated wheelie bin services
(general waste and recycling)
- Commercial waste collection contractors with bulk bins (general waste, and separated or co-mingled recyclables)
Some businesses may be already recycling cardboard packaging waste, but still have all other waste going to landfill in general waste bulk bins. Savings can be made by recycling and reducing your general waste collection services.
Commercial operators within the region are encouraged to implement sustainable practices to reduce and recycle their waste from the office, workshop, food and beverage business, or other operation.
Contact Council for assistance and advice on alternate waste reduction programs.
Waste reduction tips
The waste hierarchy is simple and effective model for businesses to make smarter decisions about managing the waste generated by their organisation:
- Be a sustainable purchaser, and procure recyclable items over using virgin resources or non-recyclable items
- Sort your waste into recyclable items, non-recyclable, and organic food and garden waste
- Reduce your paper usage and convert to electronic communication and finance systems
- Duplex printing by default, set your computers to print on both sides of the paper
- Food waste and other organic wastes produce methane and carbon dioxide gas when buried in landfill. Small amounts of food waste can be used to feed the chooks, pets or added to the compost bin. For large quantities research local commercial and community organisations that need your organic waste for their programs
- Mulch - garden branches & leaves make ideal mulch for gardens
- Compost - Mulch, lawn clippings, shredded paper, food waste and livestock manure produces compost, rich in nutrients and micro-organisms, for growing healthy plants
- Metals are more expensive to produce from the raw mined product, and are less expensive and use fewer resources to reprocess from existing metal products. Iron, steel, and aluminium are metals that should never be disposed in landfill, but sorted and sold
- Regulated waste (eg. asbestos containing materials, chemicals, tyres)
Cannot be disposed of in the same manner as general waste can in bins, see problem waste
For more great tips and techniques, see reducing your waste.
Business support programs
reThink Business Waste program
Business Sustainability... QLD's Dept of Environment and Heritage Protection provides information and support for businesses who are prepared to implement a more sustainable operation.
Program aims to assist business applicants to:
- Reduce the possible impact of the waste levy, and
- Reduce disposal costs through helping them to identify alternative options for the diversion of materials away from landfill
The program requires applicants to review their waste management activities, develop a simple waste management plan and to commit to a new resource recovery service, or vary an existing resource recovery service arrangement.
Documents are available as templates and information sessions were provided across Queensland.
ecoBiz is a free program run by CCIQ that helps businesses save thousands of dollars across their power, water and waste bills. Through ecoBiz, businesses put sustainable ideas into practice.
For more information, phone 1300 731 988
The national organisation Planet Ark has created a Business Recycling website, designed for commercial operators and businesses to search for recognised waste items produced in the local area, as well as operators / facilities where disposal of waste is accepted.
This exchange network of waste to recovered resources is the recommended way of reducing costs of waste disposal and production to your business and becoming more sustainable in the daily operations.
Register your business and waste products on the Business Recycling website to access reusable products and to promote your waste products to other businesses.
The website and hotline have been set up to make the job that much easier. Whether you run a café, a garage, a factory or an office block, you will be able to find reuse or recycling options for much of the waste generated by your business.