What is Town Planning?

Town Planning involves both control of existing and new development, and "strategic planning" to ensure our resources are carefully managed to match our future needs and expectations.

Planning is a dynamic process that is constantly evolving in response to changes within the community.

Town Planners develop strategies and design the communities in which we live, work and play. Balancing the built and natural environment, community needs, cultural significance, and economic sustainability, planners aim to improve our quality of life and create vibrant communities.

As cities and town continue to grow in terms of size and population, planners are in increasing demand to manage these changes.

They frequently work with other professionals such as engineers, architects, building surveyors, economists, developers, politicians, scientists and environmental scientists.

Planning & Development Online

PD Online provides customers with the ability to track the progress of development applications from lodgement through to determination. This online tool enables you to search, view and print property information, mapping and the district planning schemes.

Viewing Planning Applications at Customer Service Centres

All planning applications that have not yet reached the end of their appeal period are available to be viewed electronically via a computer located at the Caboolture, Redcliffe and Strathpine Customer Service Centres.

If the appeal period has finished for a development application, a request to view the file via a Right to Information (RTI) application must be completed.

Availability of Planning Officers at District Offices

The Development Services team are located at the Caboolture office. Customers wishing to speak with a planner in person, may attend the Caboolture office during normal business hours, however appointments are preferred to ensure availability.

Written planning advice

Written planning advice can be requested for reasons such as:

  • Written confirmation for application or renewal of liquor licence, motor vehicle dealership and licence to keep firearms on premises;
  • Confirmation of existing use of the premises;
  • Confirmation if a use can be continued for a premises etc.

A request for written planning advice must be provided in writing, along with the relevant fee.

back to top