Plumbing definitions

The definitions listed on this page are intended to provide assistance in determining if an application is required for plumbing work. If still unsure please contact council or visit the state government website

Compliance assessable work

Compliance assessable work is defined by exclusion. Any plumbing and drainage work that is not defined as notifiable work, minor work or unregulated work is therefore compliance assessable work. Compliance assessable work must be performed by a licensed person (plumber/drainer).  All compliance assessable work must be assessed by Council for compliance with the regulations. Before commencing compliance assessable work, you must obtain approval (Compliance Permit or Notice To Commence) for the proposed work. 

Examples of compliance assessable work are, but not limited to:

  • Construction of a new dwelling on a property - including secondary dwellings (i.e. dual occupancy / rural workers dwelling)
  • Installation of fixtures to a class 10 building (shed) that does not currently have sanitary drainage and a water supply connected to it.
  • Installation or relocation of any fixtures for any properties where the property has a dual-reticulated water supply. 
  • Installation of new fixtures or extending or altering existing pipework on a property connected to an existing combined drain
  • Installation, replacement, or removal of an on-site sewerage facility
  • Plumbing and drainage work for, or connecting to trade waste
  •  Sanitary drainage necessary for installing or relocating a fixture in a building classified as Class 2 to 9.

Notifiable work

Notifiable work is plumbing and drainage work that must be performed by a licenced person (plumber/drainer) but does not require Council approval or for Council to conduct mandatory inspections.  

The licenced person is obligated to lodge a Form 4 - Notifiable Work to the Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC) within 10 days after completing the work. More information on Notifiable work is located on the Department of Housing and Public Works website.

A licenced person may request council conduct an inspection of the work.

Council may decide to audit the work which may occur within 12 months after the Form 4 has been received by the Queensland Building and Construction Commission.  If selected for audit council will attempt to contact the property owner/s via phone or letter to request access to a property for an inspection of the work. 

Minor work

Minor work is plumbing and drainage work that must be performed by a licensed person (plumber/drainer), but does not require approval from Council or notification sent to the Queensland Building and Construction Commission.  This type of work is not inspected by Council.

A list of what is minor work is detailed in Schedule 3 of the Standard Plumbing and Drainage Regulation 2003 (SPDR)

Unregulated work

Unregulated work is plumbing and drainage work that does not require a licenced person (plumber/drainer) to perform the work. Approval from Council or notification to the QBCC is also not required. This type of work is not inspected by Council.

A list of what is unregulated work is detailed in Schedule 4 of the Standard Plumbing and Drainage Regulation 2003 (SPDR)

Request for concurrence agency

Under the Sustainable Planning Regulation 2009, Private certifiers are required to submit a concurrence agency referral to council when domestic building work (extension) involves adding additional bedrooms on sites which have an on-site sewerage facility (OSSF).  This is regardless of if the extension involves plumbing work or not. 

Council's role is to assess if the existing OSSF can accept a potential increase in wastewater generated as a result of the extension whilst maintaining compliance with the Queensland Plumbing and Wastewater Code.

Council will determine if the existing OSSF is acceptable for the extension, or if a site and soil assessment is required to be conducted by a licensed Site and Soil Evaluator.

Any alterations or extension to an OSSF must be lodged as a Compliance assessable plumbing application.

Private certifiers should submit to council the 'Request for concurrence agency for on-site wastewater management'  application, and pay the relevant fee.

Backflow Prevention

Backflow prevention refers to the prevention of a reverse flow of water from a possible polluted source into a water supply system.

A correctly selected backflow prevention device will significantly reduce the risk of contamination of a water supply. Backflow devices are either testable or non-testable types with the selection dependant on the risk associated with the possible contamination.

Council is required to keep a register of all testable backflow prevention devices

The owner of an installed testable backflow prevention device must -

Register the device with Council; and

At least once a year have the device inspected or tested by a person who is licensed to do the work. This person must, within 10 business days after testing the device, give Council written results of the test.

back to top