Swimming pools & spas

Applications and fencing

All 'swimming pools' including spas that can:

  • be filled with water, to a depth of more than 300 mm
  • have a volume of 2000 litres or more
  • have a filtration system

Require building approval issued by a private building certifier for the pool and fence.

Some pools sold at department stores and pool shops require approval, always check before buying. Simple blow up, portable pools for kids may in fact require a building application for the pool and fence from a private building certifier.

The owner of the property is responsible for ensuring their pool safety barrier is compliant with the Pool Fencing Standard; visit the Department of Housing and Public Works website.

Tenants with a portable pool requiring pool fencing are responsible for obtaining approval from a private building certifier.

Selling, buying or leasing

If selling, buying or leasing a property after 1 December 2010, a pool safety certificate  (Form 23) is required from a licensed pool safety inspector

Pool registration

All pools and spas in Queensland need to be registered with the Department of Local Government & Planning in the Pool Safety Register.

Filter backwash

On a sewered allotment a swimming pool filter backwash (Sand or Diatomaceous Earth (DE)) must be discharged to the sewer in accordance with Unitywater policy. The pool drain must be discharged to the stormwater.

On a un-sewered allotment the swimming pool filter backwash (Sand or Diatomaceous Earth (DE)) and drainage of the pool is to be discharged to the stormwater system.

On-the-spot fines for non-complying pool fencing

Council can both inspect and issue on-the-spot fines to pool owners who do not have adequate pool fencing.

Damaged, demolished, removed or altering fences

Replacing damaged, demolished, removed or altering portions of a pool fence or safety barrier, may require building development approval from a private building certifier.

back to top