Wahminda Cycle Link

Wahminda Cycle Link location

The Wahminda Cycle Link will connect Ferny Hills to the historically-significant Samford Valley Rail Trail via Samford Road and Wahminda Park.

Just minutes north of Brisbane’s CBD, the Rail Trail winds its way from Ferny Grove Station to Samford Village - a scenic 8.3km ride along the Lanita, McLean, Petersen and Camp Mountain roads. The Rail Trail mirrors the route of the old Dayboro Railway Line, which was decommissioned between Ferny Grove Station and Dayboro Station in 1955 after World War II.

The Wahminda Cycle Link will be an exciting addition to the Rail Trail, providing travellers with a tranquil place in Wahminda Park to stop-over along their journey. It will also provide a connection to the Rail Trail via Ferny Hills.

Feedback from the community on this project has helped shape its new direction, which will see the pond in Wahminda Park restored and interpretative signage installed to reflect the park’s history and environmental values.

The project has been renamed to the Wahminda Cycle Link in recognition of this new direction and of the key connecting role this project has on a regional level.

Designs have now been finalised for the pathway through Wahminda Park, which will connect to the Kedron Brook Bridge on Lanita Road and will wind its way through the park and around the pond, to a structure over a gully on the eastern side up to Samford Road.

Artist impressions of these designs are included below.

Artist impression fly through

Once communication with stakeholders has been conducted, construction will commence in the near future.

The project in its entirety is expected to finish by the end of 2019. Work is already nearing completion on the Kedron Brook Bridge and Samford Road pathway components of the project.

This project is jointly-funded by the Queensland Department of Transport and Main Roads and council, courtesy of the State’s Cycle Network Local Government Grants Program.

Location

Wahminda Park, 247 Lanita Road, Ferny Hills 4055  View map

Google Map

After World War II and construction of Samford Road, passenger traffic on the Dayboro Railway Line declined and authorities made the decision to decommission the line north of Ferny Grove in 1955. A tragic incident in the years leading up to the decommissioning might also have contributed to the waning patronage on the Dayboro Railway Line.

On 5 May 1947 a crowded picnic train carrying 215 passengers derailed on a sharp left-hand curve between the Ferny Grove and Camp Mountain Stations. It was one of several services departing from Roma Street that day on a journey to a picnic venue at Closeburn to celebrate the Labour Day public holiday. Most of the passengers were Customs employees and their families. Tragically, 16 people lost their lives in the incident and another 38 were injured. The Supreme Court of Queensland led an inquiry into the incident which found driver inexperience and excessive speed led to the tragedy on that fateful day. The accident site is commemorated with a stone cairn and plaque on the northern side of McLean Road.