Council’s 20-year transport improvements plan includes upgrading Old Gympie Road between Anzac Avenue, Kallangur and Boundary Road, Dakabin. This corridor upgrade aims to improve road safety, cater for growing and future traffic demands and improve conditions for walking, cycling and public transport services and amenity.
The corridor improvements will be undertaken in several stages according to priorities of where improvements are needed soonest. Planning and design for each of these stages are in various phases of development.
This section of Old Gympie Road
This project aims to upgrade the section of Old Gympie Road between Alma Road and Goodwin Road, Dakabin.
The proposal for this stage includes:
- increasing the number of traffic lanes from 2 to 4 lanes including kerb and channel and a raised, landscaped dividing median, extending north from Alma Road intersection and merging back to 2 lanes north of Goodwin Road
- intersection improvements including installing traffic signals, some U-turn opportunities and separate turning lanes at the two upgraded 4-way intersections of:
- Hughes Road East & Waste Facility entrance;
- Goodwin Road & Watson Park conference centre entrance
- the provision of on-road cycle lanes and ramps
- improved pathways and kerb ramps, including signalised pedestrian crossings across select road legs
- upgraded stormwater drainage network including additional culverts and works to improve flood immunity
- increased landscaping, street tree and vegetation planting to improve amenity and protect and enhance fauna habitat and corridors.
Access to all allotments will be maintained based on their existing use. U-turns (length limited) will be available in Old Gympie Road at Alma Road and Hughes Road East to ensure access is available for all travel directions.
The project timeline is subject to review depending on finalisation of design, unexpected outcomes and budget impacts.
Consultation and feedback
The concept plans for this project are available for viewing. Feedback closed on 8 December 2019.
If you have any questions, email the project team and include "Alma to Hughes" in the subject line of your email.