Council has allocated funds to improve the intersection of Oakey Flat Road and Walkers Road, Morayfield to reduce congestion at peak times, allow for future growth in the local area, while improving intersection safety.
The project will include:
- road widening with additional traffic lanes including dedicated turn lanes.
- reconstruction of the road pavement, asphalt surfacing and line marking.
- improved bicycle and pedestrian facilities.
- landscaping of medians and Jenny Fourez Park.
- relocation of underground and above ground utility services.
- Pre-construction works including property acquisitions, fence relocations and public utility relocations were completed during 2018.
- The principal contractor has been engaged and commenced site establishment works on 4th February 2019.
- VMS message boards have been deployed on site since December 2018 advising of the scheduled start date and for commuters to consider an alternative route.
- Possible alternatives are Morayfield Road (north / south) and Caboolture River Road (east / west).
- Works are expected to be completed by September 2019 (weather dependent).
- To ensure the intersection works are carried out efficiently and safely, it will be necessary to close Oakey Flat Road (north of Walkers Road) to northbound traffic during the works.
- Through traffic will be directed east along Walkers Road and then north along Morayfield Road.
- Night works will also be necessary at critical stages of the project (e.g. traffic signal works, asphalt surfacing etc) to reduce daytime congestion.
Lane closures and contra-flow lanes will also be necessary to allow the intersection construction to be undertaken in a safe and efficient manner.
When works commence, council asks that you observe the instructions of work crews and road/pathway signage, plan any travel accordingly, and apologises for any inconvenience that you may encounter.