Council has commenced the preliminary engineering design for the upgrade of the intersection of Beeville Road and Frenchs Road, Petrie, currently programmed for construction in 2022.
Traffic assessment and modelling indicate the current intersection will not meet the growing and future need of traffic and other road users.
The objective of the project is to reduce peak hour delays and congestion at the intersection, plus improve road safety, particularly for cyclists and pedestrians.
Council is proposing a new intersection layout which includes:
- installation of traffic signals
- additional traffic lanes to separate through traffic and turning traffic
- provision of on-road cycle lanes and pedestrian activated signal phases.
The project also includes pavement rehabilitation and resurfacing for two sections of Beeville Road either side of the intersection with Frenchs Road:
- from Dayboro Road to Chambery Road
- from 85 Beeville Road to Torrens Road
Ancillary works related to the project include the relocation of key underground services and the provision of landscaping and street lighting.
Public consultation on the project has closed.