Storing goods on Council land

You will need a permit to temporarily store shipping containers, skip bins, construction materials and other goods on Council land. This includes storing goods or materials on Council footpaths or roads.

Council regulates the storage of goods to make sure it is done safely and is considerate to other people using public spaces.

You need to submit your application at least eight weeks before you need to deposit or store goods on Council land. This allows time to review your submission, request any further information, conduct a final assessment and make a decision.

Once all supporting documents have been provided, your application will be reviewed and assessed under Local Law No 1 (Administration) 2011. Schedule 5(a). We may consult with key stakeholders.

It may take up to 30 business days from assessment to decision once all supporting documents have been provided.

How to apply

Step 1.Prepare a site plan

Provide a detailed site plan (drawn to scale) showing dimensions of any equipment or materials and their location. You will need to provide evidence that you can maintain a minimum access space of:

  • 1.8 metres for low traffic areas
  • 2.5 metres for high traffic areas.

Step 2.Complete a risk management plan

Complete the Risk management plan template(DOCX, 927KB).

Step 3.Take out public liability insurance

Evidence of a current public liability insurance policy to the value of $20,000,000 should be provided with your application.

Step 4.Collect supporting documents

If applicable, you will also need to provide:

  • a traffic management plan
  • details of all third-party operators, such as the skip bin provider.

Step 5.Review conditions

Make sure you review and understand the conditions for Temporary storage or depositing goods/materials on council-controlled land permit. Specific conditions may be added after your application has been assessed.

Step 6.Review fees and charges

In accordance with Council's fees and charges, a non-refundable application fee of T941 is payable at the time of your application. Council will contact you for payment.

Charities and not-for-profit organisations are exempt from paying fees if evidence is provided.

Step 7.Complete an application

Download and complete the Temporary storage or depositing of goods/materials on Council controlled land application form(PDF, 288KB) and submit:

The applicant for an approval must be a legal entity, such as a person, private company, public company or incorporated association. A partnership, cooperative, unincorporated association, body corporate, strata corporation, trust or political party is not a legal entity and cannot be considered the applicant.