Caravan parks and camping grounds
Council regulates caravan parks and camping grounds to ensure they are maintained in a clean and hygienic condition and provide appropriate facilities. Compliance with Council's requirements will assist caravan park and camping ground operators in providing a safe environment for customers.
Do I need an approval?
Operators of caravan parks and camping grounds require an approval from Council under Local Law No 1 (Administration) 2011.
Before you start
The establishment of a caravan park or camping ground may require planning approval. To find out if you need to submit a development application, you can:
- lodge an enquiry with Council
- arrange a pre-lodgement meeting with Council
- engage a town planning consultant registered the Planning Institute of Australia.
- self assess your property details against Council’s Planning Scheme.
For further information visit My property look up or contact Council.
Building and plumbing approval
Establishment of a caravan park or camping ground may require building and/or plumbing approval. Contact Council for further information.
How to apply
Collect supporting documentation
Caravan parks and camping grounds must be set out in accordance with Council requirements. The following documentation will need to be submitted with your application:
- Written consent of the property owner.
- A copy of the development approval.
- Two copies of plans, drawn to a suitable scale (e.g. 1:100) showing:
- side boundaries
- designated caravan and camping sites
- internal paths and roads
- water supply details (includes source, quality, quantity, storage and reticulation details)
- how wastewater will be collected, stored and disposed of
- how stormwater will be managed
- refuse storage, collection and disposal
- the position and specifications of facilities and amenities
- the position and specifications of recreation facilities
- the position of fireplaces
- the position and specification of firefighting facilities
- electricity reticulation details and specification
- land contours and natural features, including significant trees.
- Name and address of the proposed resident manager.
- Written agreement accepting the responsibilities of resident manager of the camping ground or caravan park.
- Written advice from Queensland Fire and Rescue Service that the provision of suitable and appropriate firefighting facilities are provided throughout the site.
- Evacuation plan, approved by a recognised authority, showing all necessary assembly areas.
- Maximum number of persons proposed to be accommodated in the camping ground or caravan park.
- Designated parking areas, including visitor parking areas.
Complete an application form
To obtain approval, you will need to download and complete an Operation of a camping ground or caravan park application(PDF, 257KB) and submit:
In accordance with Council's fees and charges, there is a non-refundable application fee of T940. This fee is payable at the time of application. Council will contact you for payment.
Approvals are issued for a maximum of 12 months and may be renewed on application to Council. An annual renewal fee is applicable.