Prepare your home and property
Living in Queensland can mean unexpected weather can occur anytime and often without much warning.
Use our home and property checklist to see if your home and family are prepared for unexpected weather and the summer storm season.
- keep gutters, downpipes and drains clear
- remove any tree branches overhanging or close to your home
- identify loose objects in your yard and on your balcony, such as outdoor furniture and toys that should be put away or secured if a storm approaches
- ensure your home, contents and car insurance is adequate and current
- check your household's flood risk using council's free flood check report
- identify the safest room in which to shelter during a storm
- learn how to safely turn off your power, water and gas
- prepare an Emergency Kit containing a first aid kit, drinking water, torches and canned food that you can access at a moment's notice
- get to know your neighbours - having someone close by to call on during times of need or to borrow resources such as a ladder can be helpful
- sign up to MoretonAlert to receive free severe weather alerts and warnings.
This will only be used to respond to your feedback, if necessary.