Is your business ready
Be prepared for any emergency
The best way for your business to cope with a natural disaster is to have a plan before it strikes.
Here are some more steps you can take to help your business be prepared.
Create a resilient business
- identify the possible risks to your business (these may include flood, severe storms or bushfire)
- prepare an emergency kit.
Prepare your staff
- keep staff informed during a severe weather event
- have a list of allocated tasks for staff to carry out before, during and after a disaster event
- have an evacuation plan for your business and ensure all staff are aware of its contents
- have a list of emergency contact numbers, including staff contacts
- ensure your staff are trained in evacuation and first aid procedures.
Prepare stock and equipment
- ensure enough stock is on hand to supply your business and customers after an event
- identify any vehicles and equipment that may need relocating or protecting during an event
- ensure there are enough spare parts on site to keep equipment operational after an event
- plan for the possibility of an extended power outage (obtain a generator and fuel if needed to maintain your business during a power outage)
- establish reciprocal help arrangements with similar businesses to provide support during and after the event.
- check flood plans and records in your area using council’s free flood check report
- ensure your building is in sound condition
- trim overhanging branches and clear your property of loose items
- clear guttering and downpipes
- if applicable, form a wide firebreak around your buildings.
- check there is adequate insurance to cover your business for different types of disaster
- check with your insurance company whether there are any policy specific preparations you need to make prior to the event.
Business documentation and records
- ensure critical documentation (insurance, financial, legal, and identification documents, etc.) is packed in a portable, waterproof container
- back up critical data to a portable storage device and store it in a secure location or use cloud storage.
For more information, resources and tips on preparing your business, visit the Business Queensland website.
This will only be used to respond to your feedback, if necessary.