Flood recovery business resources

Find information and resources to support the Moreton Bay business community with recovery from the impacts of severe weather events in February and March 2022.

Business financial support

  • Council has announced a range of support for small businesses from extension of rate payments by 30 days to a rate rebate of $250 for eligible owner-occupier small businesses.
  • Extraordinary Disaster Assistance Recovery Grants of up to $50,000 including an initial ‘quick release’ $15,000 are available for impacted small businesses. $75,000 is available to primary producers and $20,000 for non-profits. The grants can be used to hire or purchase equipment and materials, clean up, remove debris, replace or repair damaged infrastructure and stock and other costs associated with the recovery process. Take photos of the direct damage to accompany your application. Find out more about Extraordinary Disaster Assistance Recovery Grants, including eligibility and the application process.
  • Essential Working Capital Loans allow businesses to access loans of up to $100,000 over up to 10 years to cover working capital expenses. These expenses could include paying salaries or wages, paying rent or rates, paying creditors and buying goods essential to running the business. These loans must be secured by a mortgage of land, or by another asset.
  • Affected businesses can access a Disaster Assistance Loan of up to $250,000 over up to 10 years. These loans are intended to assist businesses in re-establishing normal operations. They can be used for repairing or replacing damaged equipment, repairing or replacing buildings or meeting rent and rates requirements. Loans under this scheme must be secured by a mortgage of land, or by another asset.
  • Search for other disaster and grants assistance using Council's free Funding Finder.

Personal financial support

  • Centrelink Disaster Recovery Allowance provides access to a short-term payment (for a maximum of 13 weeks) to help you following the South East Queensland Floods in February 2022 if this disaster has directly affected your income.
  • The Centrelink Disaster Recovery Payment is a one-off, non-means tested payment of $1000 per eligible adult and $400 per eligible child. The payment is to help support people severely impacted by the South East Queensland flooding event.
  • Queensland Government Emergency Hardship Assistance offers grants of up to $180 per person, or $900 for a family of five or more residents of Moreton Bay who have been impacted by severe flooding to cover essential items.
  • Queensland Government Essential Household Contents Grants offer of up to $1765 for single adults and $5,300 for couples/families are available for those who are uninsured, or unable to claim insurance to replace/repair essential household contents.

Disaster resources

Financial and business advice

Agri-business and primary producer assistance 

  • Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements (DRFA) provide financial recovery assistance of up to $75,000 for primary producers impacted by the South East Queensland rainfall and flooding event.
  • The Public Rural Crisis Fund provides financial support to families/households in natural disasters. You can apply for financial support of up to $1000 per family/household via the Country Women's Association website or on (07) 3236 6419.
  • Rural Aid provides access to a one-off $1000 payment to cover expenses for primary producers with an ABN. All approved applications will be paid within 4 weeks with funding available until exhausted.
  • The Services Australia Farm Household Allowance is a fortnightly payment for farming families in financial hardship. To be eligible you must meet income, assets and mutual obligation requirements.
  • Drought Angels provides pre-paid Mastercards, IGA and BP gift cards, food hampers, care packs and personalised support for farming families across Australia.

Personal support 

  • Beyond Blue New Access provides free and confidential assessments and mental health coaching (up to six sessions) for small business owners, including sole traders.
  • Find a mental health service. If you need help now, phone triple zero (000) or go to a hospital if you are in immediate danger.
  • The Queensland small business owner wellbeing guide and checklist is a collection of available resources and information developed to support small business owners’ wellbeing. It contains guides and a useful checklist.

Business hotlines

If you want to discuss any specific issues for your business, contact Council's Economic Development Department on 1300 477 161 or economic@moretonbay.qld.gov.au.

Businesses can also subscribe to receive the latest news, tips and opportunities from Council’s Economic Development Department.