Prior to commencing building work

What you need to consider when carrying out construction works, storing materials or undertake drainage/vegetation work beyond your property boundary.

For information on how to obtain a building permit prior to erecting a building or structure visit building approval.

Dial before you dig

Dial before you dig is a free national community service designed to prevent damage and disruption to the vast pipe and cable networks which provides Australia’s essential services i.e. electricity, gas, communications and water.

Before anyone or any organisation starts excavating ground they need to know what assets are there.

To access this free service:

Access via Council property during construction

Access via Council parkland to carry out building work on a property (e.g. to install a swimming pool) requires a vehicle access permit.

Contact Council to request vehicle access to Council land.

Permission to carry out work within the road reserve

Residents seeking to carry out construction works, store materials or undertake drainage/vegetation beyond the boundary of their property, on Council land are required to apply to council for assessment prior to carrying out works.

Council land includes parks, road reserve and the bounds outside your property including the median strip.

Submitting the application helps to ensure pedestrian and utility services are uninterrupted and there are no planned Council works associated for the area.

Complete Permission to carry out work on a road reserve or council own land application(PDF, 860KB).