Expression of interest: Play with Paper
About the exhibition
In Play with paper artists are encouraged to exploit the medium of paper, pushing the medium to its limits. Moving beyond understanding paper as a surface on which to create, artists in this exhibition will reinterpret its functionality and purpose.
Drawing inspiration from the composition of the medium, artists will explore paper’s versatility through tearing, moulding, folding, marking and assembling to create new works. Artists are also encouraged to play with paper’s physical capabilities, it’s fragility but also it’s incredible strength. Through their pieces new ways of seeing and thinking about working with paper will emerge.
Experimentation with paper is highly encouraged and originality of ideas will be considered favourably.
Artists are encouraged to enter works using all types of paper, from cardboard, to tyvec, to alternative paper-making materials.
Artists working in all mediums are invited to enter their works, however we ask that paper is the primary focus of the work.
Artists are invited to submit up to three works that work with paper.
For further details about your submission please read the conditions of entry.
- Expressions of interest close: 11.59pm. Sunday 14 April, 2019
- Delivery of works: 11.00pm - 12.30pm Monday 10 June 2019
- Exhibition: runs from 14 June 2019 – 17 August 2019
- Opening event: 2.00pm Saturday 15 June 2019
- Collection of works: 9.00am - 10.30am Monday 19 August 2019
Public Programs: workshops, collaborations and demonstrations
Artists are invited to contact the gallery via email Pinerivers.firstname.lastname@example.org to apply to present workshops, talks or demonstrations to support this exhibition.
Please supply details of your proposal along with costings and availabilities.
The selection criteria
Works for the exhibition will be selected for their suitability to the exhibition’s theme, original concept, creativity, artistry and skill level.
Examples of works
- Works on paper
- Video works
Conditions of entry
- Works for the exhibition will be selected for their original concept, creativity, artistry and skill.
- All applications will be considered however not all pieces will be selected for the exhibition.
- Works will be selected based on how well they respond to the concept of the exhibition.
- All works must be the original work of the artist.
- Artwork is to be accompanied with an artist statement of up to 200 words.
- Artists can submit up the three works.
- There is no cost to exhibit.
- Artists will be responsible for delivery and collection of works to and from the venue.
- Insurance is the responsibility of the artist.
- Selection is open to 3D, 2D and video works.
- All 2D works must be either framed or prepared for hanging with the use of D-Rings. D-rings are to be fixed to the back of the frame at exactly 7cm from the top of the frame on either side.
- All works that are not 2D are also to be exhibition ready with full instructions on how to install. Please provide installation instructions in the space provided and upload any diagrams.
- For works larger than 2m x 2m, please contact the gallery regarding accessibility.
- For video works please add a Dropbox link to the artist statement section of your application.
- All submissions must be made using the link provided.
Please note: Works will not be available for sale whilst on display at Pine Rivers Art Gallery. If artists are looking to sell their works, we recommend leaving a business card which can then be forwarded on to interested parties.
Image credit: Caselle Mountford, Curlicue, 2007. Paper and Styrofoam. Moreton Bay Regional Council Art Collection
Tuesday, 05 March 2019
- Sunday, 14 April 2019
Pine Rivers Art Gallery, Unit 7/199 Gympie Road, Strathpine 4500 View map