Local Laws that apply across the Moreton Bay region commenced on 5 August 2011. They supercede those local and subordinate laws of the Caboolture Shire, Pine Rivers Shire and Redcliffe City Councils, all of which have now been repealed.
The new laws are as follows and are displayed with a summary of the content and matters of interest to the public:
Local Law 1 - Administration
This law provides a legal and procedural framework for the local government to approve and regulate prescribed activities, such as the operation of camping grounds and caravan parks, keeping of animals, the installation of advertising devices (signs) the use of local government controlled areas and roads such as footpath dining.
The Administration local law also covers matters such as:
- Prescribed activities
- Approval requirements for prescribed activities
- Dealing with abandoned goods and seized or impounded goods
- Enforcement of the local laws and authorised persons
- Legal proceedings
- Approval and review processes
- Review and repeal processes
Local Law 2 - Animal management
Regulates and manages the keeping and control of animals within the local government area in a manner to prevent pollution or environmental damage and to protect the health and safety of the community and the amenity of the local area.
The Animal Management local law deals with the manner in which certain animals may or may not be kept within the region and covers matters including:
- Prohibitions under certain circumstances
- Approvals for keeping certain animals
- Controls required for animals
- The seizure, impoundment and destruction of animals
- Appeal processes against destruction orders
Local Law 3 - Community & environmental management
Protects the environment, and public health, safety and amenity of the community within the local government area and it includes:
- Declaration of local pest weeds and animals
- Overgrown and unsightly allotments
- Control of some types of fires within the region
- Local annoyances and hazards including structures that impact on the amenity of the area, for example barbed wire and electric fences, shopping trolleys left in the area, refuse and refuse containers and the slaughtering of animals within the region
- Specific noise standards
Local Law 4 - Local Government controlled areas & roads
Protects the health and safety of persons using local government controlled land, facilities, infrastructure and roads and to preserve the natural and built environment and other aspects of the amenity of the area and it includes:
- Prohibited and restricted activities on local government areas, including parks, reserves, and canals
- Matters affecting roads
Local Law 5 - Parking
Regulates the parking of vehicles within the local government area by establishing traffic areas, off street parking and prescribing fines for illegal parking offences.
The Parking local law also works in conjunction with the Traffic Operations (Road Use Management) Act 1995 to control parking within the region, including:
- The declaration of parking areas
- Parking contrary to restrictions such as commercial and short term permits
- Off street parking areas
- Minor traffic offences and relevant infringement amounts
Local Law 6 - Bathing reserves
Provides control measures to enhance the public safety and convenience within bathing reserves under the control of the local government. It also provides information on restricted and prohibited activities and items that can and can’t be taken into a bathing reserve.
The Bathing Reserves local law deals with the establishment of bathing reserves and the conduct of activities within the bathing reserves, including:
- The signs and flags to be used to denote a bathing area within a reserve
- Closure of a bathing reserve
- The equipment permitted or restricted within a bathing reserve
- The activities of a life saving club within a bathing reserve
- The powers of authorised persons
Copies of the local and subordinate laws can be obtained from Council’s offices at:
- Caboolture - 2 Hasking Street, Caboolture
- Redcliffe - Irene Street, Redcliffe
- Strathpine - 220 Gympie Road, Strathpine
Refer to the fees and charges schedule for details on current fee.
Related documents & links
Software requirementsSome documents linked from this page may require additional software.
More information and resources