The Environmental Protection Act 1994 places an obligation on all people to protect the environment.
The object of the Act is to protect Queensland's environment while allowing for development that improves the total quality of life, both now and in the future, in a way that maintains the ecological processes on which life depends ("ecologically sustainable development").
The Act deals with requirements for noise, water, contaminated land issues and waste.
The Environmental Protection Agency is the name of the state government department that administers any activities not under Council control.
Industries / activities
Council has officers authorised under this Act who administer and inspect certain industries and activities to ensure they comply with the Act and its regulations.
- Poultry farming
- Petroleum product storing
- Extractive industries
- Screening of materials
- Abrasive blasting
- Boiler making or engineering
- Metal surface coating
- Metal forming
- Metal recovery
- Motor vehicle workshops
- Animal housing
- Pet, stock or aquaculture food manufacturing
- Plastic manufacturing
- Asphalt manufacturing
- Concrete batching
- Motor racing
- Wooden product manufacturing
- Boat maintenance or repairing facilities
- Marina or seaplane mooring
- Incinerating waste
Council officers are also delegated under the Environmental Protection (Water) Policy 1997, where they can issue infringement notices for people found polluting waterways. The fines range from $300 to $600 and can be issued on-the-spot or mailed to offenders.
The pollutants include:
- Scrap metal
- Motor vehicle parts, bodies or tyres
- Building waste
- Solid or liquid waste from an on-site domestic waste water treatment system
- Sand, silt, mud, gravel or other sediment
- Cement or concrete
- Degreasing agent
- Paint varnish or paint thinner
- Any manufactured product, by product or waste from any manufacturing process acidic (ph less than 6) or alkaline (ph greater than 9)
- Insecticide, herbicide or other biocide
Waterways under this policy includes roadside gutters, stormwater drains, creeks, river, lakes and wetlands. Whether at work or at home please keep our waterways and environment clean now and for future generations.
Related documents & links